Call for Joint Research Proposals FAPESP – Universidad de Antioquia 2019 Versão em português
Closing date for submission of proposals: 13th March 2020
Successful proposals notified: 23rd November 2020
FAPESP support opportunity: Regular Research Grants
Maximum duration of the project: Up to 24 months
Eligibility: According to Regular Research Grants guidelines for researchers affiliated with Higher Education or Research Institutions in the State of São Paulo. Researchers affiliated with the Universidad de Antioquia (accordingly to Item 6)
Submission of proposals: Through the SAGe platform, only by the researcher in São Paulo. No documents should be submitted directly to the Universidad de Antioquia
Contact FAPESP: Patrícia Tambourgi, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Universidad de Antioquia: Gloria Valencia, e-mail: email@example.com, Camilo Gaviria, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP), Brazil, and the Universidad de Antioquia (UdeA), Colombia, launch a call for joint research projects. The aim of this call is to promote and strengthen collaboration in basic and applied research, and innovation between researchers affiliated with the UdeA and researchers affiliated with Higher Education and Research Institutions in the State of São Paulo.
2. RESEARCH AREAS
The present call invites research proposals in basic and applied research, and innovation in all fields of knowledge.
3. DURATION OF PROJECTS
The maximum project duration is 24 months.
4. FINANCIAL SUPPORT
The call aims at giving financial support to selected joint research. Each side will finance its own national research teams.
An approved single joint proposal may receive, from the UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA, a maximum limit per proposal of $120.000.000,00 COP (or its equivalent in dollars). FAPESP will provide funding for the State of Sao Paulo component of approved proposals for up to R$ 200.000,00 reais (or its equivalent amount in dollars) for a two-year project.
4.1 FAPESP will fund the research team from the state of São Paulo under the following conditions:
a) For the applicant researcher in the state of São Paulo, the collaborative proposal will be processed at FAPESP as a Regular Research Grant (“Auxílio à Pesquisa - Regular”);
b) FAPESP may fund up to the equivalent of R$200.000,00 reais per project, including fundable budget items and applicable overheads and provision for imports, when applicable, including Supplementary Benefits, according to rules described at https://fapesp.br/rt;
c) Fundable budget items follow the usual conditions of the Regular Research Grant (www.fapesp.br/apr), which include equipment with individual cost of up to the equivalent in dollars of R$ 100.000,00, consumables, third-party services, mobility costs for researchers listed and approved by FAPESP as team members. The Research Overhead and Complementary Benefits must be used according to the rules described at https://fapesp.br/rt;
d) Exceptionally, this call will not fund technical training fellowships (“Bolsas TT”) nor Academic Training.
4.2 UdeA will fund the research team from the Universidad de Antioquia under the conditions stated in the Annex I.
Call announcement in FAPESP and UNIVERSIDAD DE
04th December, 2019
Closing date for submission of proposals
13th March, 2020
Successful proposals notification estimated date
23rd November, 2020
6. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Applicants from the UdeA and from the State of São Paulo must satisfy the eligibility criteria of both FAPESP and UdeA, respectively:
a) For FAPESP: Principal Investigators must be affiliated to a Research or Higher Education Institution based in the State of Sao Paulo. Eligibility criteria are available at https://fapesp.br/apr;
b) For UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA:
I. Principal Investigators must be tenured professors at the UdeA. Substitute faculty (ocasionales) or lecturers (cátedra) are also eligible, as long as they have the support of a tenured professor;
i. Concerning UdeA lecturers (cátedra), the research projects submitted by them must be prepared taking into account the parameters of the academic periods, the schedule of execution and the availability of the involved professors. Consequently, the development of these proposals will occur in stages;
ii. Lecturers (cátedra) who apply must have enough available hours to dedicate to their particular research project. These terms are in accordance with articles 6 and 19 of the Acuerdo Superior 253/03.
iii. The processes of hiring and evaluating lecturers (cátedra) must abide by the terms established in Chapter V of the Acuerdo Superior 253/03. If the lecturers do not receive positive results during the hiring and evaluation processes, then the supporting tenured professor must assume the role of the principal investigator. The same procedure will be followed in the event that lecturers ( cátedra) cannot sign a new contract required to continue the execution of any of the given project´s stages.
II. Proposals for the UdeA component must include a PhD, a Master’s or Clinical/Surgical Specialization Student;
III. The proposals must include the participation of one or more UdeA graduate students, at least during one semester;
IV. Researchers must have no pending commitments in any project registered at the University Research System when submitting their proposals.
c) Applicants must be aware that submitted proposals may not pass to merit evaluation if eligibility criteria of both institutions are not met.
7. PROPOSAL CHARACTERISTICS
Proposals must follow the general rules for Regular Research Grant (www.fapesp.br/apr), as determined in item 4.1 of this call for proposals.
The proposal must include a research project jointly written by applicants from the Universidad de Antioquia and those from the research institutions in the State of São Paulo, CV Summary, in English, of all investigators and additional documents required by both institutions.
7.1 The joint research project shall include:
a) A maximum of 15 pages, in English or Portuguese;
b) A clear description of the planned collaboration (distribution of work per year/per side and methods of implementation) and the added value to be expected from the collaboration.
i. Projects should include: title, state of art, objectives, methodology and references;
7.2 CV Summary
a) CV Summary of the Principal Investigators from São Paulo and from the Universidad de Antioquia (in English, following the guidelines at www.fapesp.br/en/6351); the proponent from the Universidad de Antioquia must be registered at the SAGe platform (items 8.1.c and 8.1.d below);
b) CV Summary of Collaborating Researchers from São Paulo and from the Universidad de Antioquia (in English, following the guidelines at www.fapesp.br/en/6351).
7.3 Additional documents:
a) For researchers from the State of São Paulo:
i. In addition to the joint research project, researchers from the State of São Paulo must include in the SAGe platform all other documents required for Regular Research Grants. Please refer to: https://fapesp.br/apr (items 9.2 and 9.3).
b) For researchers from the University of Antioquia:
i. Technical Committee endorsement (in .pdf);
ii. Time dedication endorsement (in .pdf);
iii. UdeA specific Budget Worksheet according to the available model (“Presupuesto”), in Colombian pesos (COP);
iv. Ethics Committee approval (in .pdf), for projects that involve experimentation with animals and humans. This may be submitted after the evaluation process and publication of results, but prior to the beginning of the funded project.
8. SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
Proposals can be submitted only to FAPESP until March 13th, 2020, by the Principal Investigator of the proposal from the research institutions in the state of São Paulo. No proposal will be accepted after the closing date for submission, nor will any addendum or explanation be accepted, unless those explicitly and formally requested by FAPESP or by the UdeA.
8.1 The SAGE platform
Submissions can only be accepted through the SAGe online platform, available at www.fapesp.br/sage/.
a) The specific path for this call is:
Nova Proposta Inicial > + Outras Linhas de Fomento > + Acordos de Cooperação > + UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - Projeto de Pesquisa - Regular > Chamada de Propostas (2019) ;
b) No documents should be sent to the UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA by the partner research from UdeA;
c) The UdeA Principal Investigator (PI) must be registered at the SAGe platform before being chosen as the partner researcher in the proposal. This must be done in the English version of SAGe, by choosing the option “Not Registered?”. The registration must be completely filled with updated data. Otherwise, it will not be included in the proposal by the SAGe system.
d) After being appointed at the proposal, the UdeA PI must validate his/her participation;
e) Proposals submitted by any other means will not be accepted.
9. REVIEW OF PROPOSALS
Among regular review criteria by FAPESP and UdeA for this call will value:
a. Scientific quality and innovativeness of the research proposal;
b. Feasibility of the research plan;
c. An innovation component derived from the research will be highly valued;
d. Competence and expertise of the applicants from both countries.
e. Competence and expertise of the teams from both countries.
f. Scientific and technological knowledge dissemination potential yielded by the project.
9.2 Proposals that do not comply with the terms of this Call will not qualify for analysis.
9.3 Joint Steering Committee (JSC)
a) UdeA and FAPESP will designate a Joint Steering Committee (JSC), specially appointed for this Call.
b) The funding of approved proposals by UdeA and FAPESP will be agreed by the JSC;
d) No appeals against any merit decision of the JSC will be accepted.
10. GRANT TERM
10.1 At FAPESP:
a) A Letter of Agreement regarding Intellectual Property Rights must be issued before FAPESP sends out the Grant Contract to the proponent (as of item 11 below);
b) Selected proposals start as soon as the Grant Contract is signed by FAPESP, the proponent and the legal representative of the Higher Education and Research Institution to which he/she is affiliated.
10.2 At UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA :
Selected proposals must be registered in the University Research System.
11. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In case of approval, a Letter of Agreement has to be formulated between the UdeAand the Host Institution to which the Principal Investigator from São Paulo is affiliated, establishing how Intellectual Property (IP) Rights, confidentiality, and publications will be treated jointly, in observance of the policies of each funding Party. Ownership of IP generated during the project and rights to exploitation, as well as any costs regarding management of IP, are expected to be agreed between the collaborating research organizations before the research begins. The presentation of a signed copy of this Letter of Agreement is mandatory before the signature of the grant contract in the case of FAPESP.
12. GRANT CANCELLATION
FAPESP or UdeA may cancel funding if, during the grant timeframe, a significant event justifies its cancellation, without prejudice of any other appropriate actions.
13. FUNDING PARTNERS AND CONTACT POINTS:
State of São Paulo, Brazil
Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo – FAPESP
Vicerrectoría de Investigación
Dirección de Relaciones Internacionales – Universidad de Antioquia
UdeA: The funds and commitments
UdeA funds shall only be used for:
1. Scientific Staff : The one required by the research project. Emphasis will be placed on funding the payment of students in training, as well as the hiring of research assistants or young researchers.
2. Support Staff: All personnel necessary for the development of the project.
3. Computational Supplies : Computational resources necessary for the implementation of the project, including software, licenses, hard disk, memories and laptops necessary for the development of the activities planned.
4. Materials/Laboratory Supplies : Those required for the successful execution of the research project.
5. Field trips: Those trips necessary for the execution of the project will be funded. This item is not intended to fund travel associated with participation in meetings, or academic events or conferences for the academic disclosure of research results.
6. Travel: All trips (tickets and travel expenses) to present the results of the project in congresses or national or international events, and mobility in general that is required for the development of the project will be funded through this item.
7. Equipment: The acquisition of equipment required for the execution of the project will be funded.
8. Technical Services: This item is different from the "Staff" item above. This type of services refers to hiring a person or entity to develop a specific task as part of the project, and does not generate any intellectual property right (industrial property rights, copyright.) Some technical service examples include: exams, tests, laboratory tests, and surveys.
9. Publications: The program will fund the costs of publishing new-knowledge, co-authored products derived from submitted projects (e.g. indexed journal articles, book chapters or research-derived books, especially Open Access publications) or social appropriation of knowledge (community-sharing events, brochures, audiovisual material, community training, books, etcetera) that serve as strategies for circulating the results of the funded project. All publications or dissemination products must openly acknowledge the two funding institutions involved in the call.
10. Bibliographical Material : The acquisition of literature relevant for the execution of the project will be funded.
11. Infrastructure Use : The use of computer equipment, laboratories, offices, rooms, meeting rooms, etcetera must be included in the budget. (This item is an in-kind contribution).
12. Administration : Up to 5% of the total funding requested to UdeA may be budgeted to cover expenses related to the administration of the project.
The minimum commitments taken on by researchers are:
1. New-Knowledge Products: To generate at least one Top-classification product according to the chart of acceptance of research-derived products issued by the CODI
Articles and publications must take into account the recommendations for the institutional signature, and it is recommended to publish them in open access media, in accordance with the institutional policy on open access (Superior Agreement 451 of 2018).
2. Social-Appropriation-of-Knowledge Products: To produce at least one social-appropriation-of-knowledge product according to the chart of acceptance of research-derived products issued by the CODI.
3. Human-Resource Training: To include one or more UdeA graduate students for being trained as part of the project. Projects can also include young researchers or undergraduate students in other types of internships.
4. Final Research Report: To submit a copy of the final report that has been delivered to FAPESP.