How to achieve more and better research for SDGs
03 May 2023 | 1:15 – 2:45 pm
Venue: 871 UN Plaza - German House, 22nd floor
The objective of this side event to the UN STI Forum 2023 is to gather the Heads of Research Councils who have a prominent role in the Global Research Council (GRC), and to discuss how the research funding agencies can strengthen the role of STI -- in particular with basic research -- to create conditions that advance the Sustainable Development Goals. In other words, how can the international public research funding ecosystem best contribute to meeting the SDG goals?
Space is limited. Registration by April 28 is mandatory.
A light lunch will be served during meeting.
Greetings and introduction
- Ambassador Thomas Zahneisen
Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN
- Cherry Murray
Deputy Director for Research Biosphere 2, Professor of Physics, University of Arizona Co-Chair for Science, the InterAcademies Partnership
Co-Chair 10-Member Group, United Nations Technology Facilitation Mechanism: Science Technology & Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals
- Prof. Katja Becker
Chair of the Global Research Council and President of the German Research Foundation (DFG)
Examples of SDG-related research funding
- Marco Antonio Zago, President, FAPESP-São Paulo Research Foundation
- Hashimoto Kazuhito, President, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), Japan
- Fulufhelo Nelwamondo, CEO, National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa
- Alejandro Adem, President, Natural Sciences and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Kendra Sharp, Head, Office of International Science and Engineering, National Science Foundation (NSF)
Chaired by Prof. Becker
Role models for new national initiatives?
Potential cooperation with UN Technology Facilitation Mechanism?
Does research need a more prominent role within the SDGs?