Memorandum of Understanding between FAPESP and JSPS Versão em português
Memorandum of Understanding between FAPESP – The São Paulo Research Foundation, of Brazil and JSPS – The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, of Japan
The SÃO PAULO RESEARCH FOUNDATION referred to as “FAPESP”, and The JAPAN SOCIETY FOR THE PROMOTION OF SCIENCE, hereafter referred to as “JSPS”, both entities hereafter referred to as “the Parties”.
Recognizing the key role that science, technology, and innovation play in economic and social development and the potential benefits of enhanced scientific and technological collaboration between the two agencies,
The Parties have mutually agreed as follows:
1. The Parties will:
a) Promote collaboration in all fields of the natural sciences, social science and humanities of mutual interest;
b) Facilitate mutually beneficial collaboration in all fields of the natural sciences, social science and humanities through interaction between their respective research communities, such as in fostering young researchers and supporting curiosity-driven research activities, under their respective program frameworks and guidelines.
2. In pursuance of the objectives of this Memorandum of Understanding, referred to in paragraph 1 above, the Parties will:
a) Identify opportunities for and promoting concrete co-operative activities involving their respective research communities, such as joint research projects and initiatives for fostering young researchers, as mutually decided upon by both Parties;
b) Encourage increased science and technology collaboration between relevant institutions or researchers by sharing and disseminating information about funding mechanisms for supporting the holding of scientific and technological meetings, workshops and symposia on subjects of mutual interest.
3. In accordance with their own rules, the Parties will instruct researchers and their institutions to ensure the protection and proper distribution of intellectual property rights resulting from projects funded under this Memorandum of Understanding. Due acknowledgement of support received from the Parties is to be noted in any publication resulting from the research.
4. This Memorandum of Understanding is based on equality, reciprocity and mutual benefit. The MoU implies no financial commitment from by either Party.
5. Details on the cooperative activities, financing and other germane matters regarding the implementation of the cooperative activities under this Memorandum of Understanding are described in its Details for Implementation to this MoU and each Joint Call for Proposals on a case-by-case basis.
6. The Parties understand that the intention of this Memorandum of Understanding is not to create legally binding commitments between them under either domestic or international law.
7. Any dispute arising from the interpretation or implementation of this Memorandum of Understanding will be resolved amicably and expeditiously through consultation or negotiation between the Parties or such other means as they may mutually decide.
8. This Memorandum of Understanding may be amended by mutual written consent of the Parties at the request of either Party. Any amendments will become effective upon written notification of mutual agreement by the Parties.
9. This Memorandum of Understanding shall be valid for a period of five (5) years. By mutual consent, the MoU may be extended for an additional five-year period. It may be terminated by either Party upon at least six (6) months written notice to the other Party. Termination of this Memorandum will not affect the activities already approved jointly under the terms of this Memorandum.
10. Done in four originals copies in Portuguese and English, all texts being equally authentic and of equal effect.
Date: December 9, 2013
The State of São Paulo Research Foundation
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science